Saturday, October 4, 2008

Won't you be my neighbor

A little portrait of 12 hours on my street. Last night I was coming home about 11:30 after seeing a incredible Lucinda Williams concert.( Note: If you are suffering from some sort of God Complex, drop it. Lucinda is the true all powerful, knowing source of energy in the Universe.) I was in a peppy, I love my city ,kind of mood that I am so grateful I can still have after all these years.

As I was walking home ,in front of me was a cluster of 4 20- somethings that you rarely see in my hood. They were clearly out of towners on an adventure. They were giggly,cheerful,squeaky. They had spunk. One of the young men who does regular commerce on my street walks up to them as says, " You people are not welcome in my neighborhood."

It's one of those moments where I wish I was more of bad ass. Yeah, these kids were kind of annoying. But to scare them , to threaten them , what's the point ? Other than to feel better about your self for a moment. Oh yeah, this guy sells drugs for a living. This is a man that whole like is about the not thought through short term action. But I still felt protective. I wanted to be able to say something to make them feel safe getting to their destination. But they seem to take it in stride as they screeched at the sight of the biggest dead rat one could hope to see. This thing in its prime could have taken on my parents spaniel.

This morning while doing the ritual tidying there was the sound of a voice on a megaphone announcing that everyone has to move their cars now. There is going to be a church event taking up the street. Jesus loves you and he will tow your van if you don't move your ass now.

The question is who is seen as more of a threat to the street action., white kids with college loans or the Movers for God.

No comments: