Tuesday, October 28, 2008

In praise of isolation

I try to make it a sort of discipline as a single person to go out at least half the nights of the week. This works out most of the time give or take a night. It helps kill the desire to hermit and remember that I do live in the most amazing city in the world - if one overlooks the upper east side. Being around others also helps to kill the demons that live in my head if I spend too much time by my self. The ones that tell me I am going to die poor,alone , except for a bunch of cats.

But tonight we have the first truly crappy weather of the season. It's raining slow and steady these life taking drops that threaten to become snow but never make the commitment. It's so bad the dealers are hiding in their girlfriends vans. Meanwhile my home is warm and toasty. And ground lamb has just been delivered for making burgers. There is a bottle of cheap but pleasant red wine on the kitchen counter.I just got Katha Pollitt's Learning to Drive from the library and I love it. I can watch to see if Cloris or Susan is going to be kicked of the dance show.

I don't care if I got an invitation right now to go down to midtown for a chance to see Ethel Merman rise from the dead while doing a medley of her biggest numbers. I am staying put tonight.

No comments: