Monday, October 6, 2008

Mundane reasons for gentrification

When I think about the pluses and minuses of staying in New York, in my neighborhood, on my street, it comes down what makes life simple. Wednesday I will have lunch with a friend who also lives in the neighborhood. We say what is in walking distance of both of our homes, cheap and pleasant. And the winner is : the diner. That's it. If you don't want Chinese or a big hunk of steak or the trendy places by the hospital, the diner it is.

Or simple fix it up tasks. There is no where within 10 blocks of my home that had Bluestik, the putty stuff you put posters up with in dorm rooms. And much more serious, no one has sugarless chocolate pudding. Not the instant crap.That stuff in any form just tastes about what was awful about the 1950s. It smells of chemicals and oppression. But the real mix with milk, cook, shove in your fridge for a while stuff is not half bad, particularly if you put the fat free cool whip on it. It actually feels like dessert , rather than punishment for a slow metabolism. But after searching 5 grocery stores none are too be found. This is tragic.

If anyone finds some, buy a few boxes for me and I will reimburse you for the happy blue boxes. I am stocking up for the winter.

No comments: