Monday, October 13, 2008

Princess Aurora tribute

It has come to the conclusion of myself and several friends that the main topic of conversation when one becomes middle age is sleep. How little you have had, what form the lack has taken, how its taking away from your livelihood,social skills, and safety habits. We trade tips that we have all heard and tryed a million times. Its like dieting. Once knows that eating less- exercising more will normally do the trick. But telling someone else to do so makes you sound like you have some sort of expertise.

So we coach each other. Make you bed a welcoming place, clean sheets,comforting objects. Don't eat before bed.Do eat but only comforting food. Don't drink booze.Drink Jack Daniels. Try warm milk, try hemp tea.Try hemp anything. Mediation,pray,relaxation tapes. Don't watch Law and Order.Do watch the Mary Tyler Moore show.Exercises. Do nothing stressful. Take a long bath.Don't talk to your mother. Do have sex.Have sex but only if you are on the bottom. Sleep with a pet.Don't sleep in the same place as your lover. Visualise you are a horse running on an endless beach. Count sheep, numbers, thoughts. Over the counter allergy pills. melatonin. Charm Lolly pops.All have been suggested.All tryed.All failed.

Well I would like to announce that for the last 3 nights I have slept well . Not only that, every day I have taken a nap. Saturday I even had 2. And I haven't the foggiest of understanding why. Nothing dramatic has changed for me in the last couple of days. Nothing blissfully wonderful. Neither does anything new suck. I am not getting sick. I am not hiding from the world in depression. There has been no massage, no hot tubs, no new age tapes telling me how I am connected to all .Clueless I am.

All I know is I was sitting in a meeting yesterday and I had this thought," This is how a persons body is supposed to feel!" I have taken my weariness as a constant reality. My waking up and not being able to fall back to sleep again. Or waking up at 5 and being as tight as a guitar string, just has become normalised. I don't think I had a clue and how consistently yucky I have been feeling for months.

Back when Bill Clinton first ran for president, when they did human interest pieces on him , it was often mentioned how little sleep he needed a night. At the time I was wondering why this was a selling point. Does getting by on on 3-4 hours of rest make you a stronger more rational person then us saps who need a whopping 8? When the shit hit the fan with him I thought of course! He is too tired to know where he is putting his dick! maybe he was not using Monica so much as an abuse of power but rather as a way to keep his eyes open.

I am scared writing this I may jinx this incredible stretch of slumber. I will try not to think too much about it. Instead I will obsess a little about last night's episode of Mad Men.What the fuck was that?

1 comment:

Jane said...

Too weird. After a two weeks of insomnia, I've slept like a baby the past three nights too.

Why do I think "Please have sex with me tonight; I need to get some sleep" is not the best pick-up line out there?