Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Whiter than you

So twice a week I work at a disability law firm. I love them here.I started to volunteer years ago when I was too sick to work a real job but wanting to still make some sort of positive impact in the world.Then when I moved into coaching and spending most of my time in my home office, it became a way to still have an office social life. A world I could gossip about cute interns and raid the candy bowls.

What I do is intake calls. We are on a million lists as do-gooders who do free work for those in need.Which is true but all we do is class action cases for the most part.So we get all of these folks calling asking for help getting on SSD, trying to find some where to live that is wheel chair accessible, that sort of thing.I go through a date base and find someone who might actually help them.I am going to heaven.
For me it is a perfect gig. I do phone very well. I can be kind and sympathetic if your life sucks in a legitimate way. I also am very good at being evil. Meaning I have no guilt about cutting off sob story's that are not getting to the point.I also say" No" with great ease. People who off their meds don't generally scare me.Some times I can even talk them down into the land of the rational for a little while.

My only issue with the gig is watching how heavy duty my sense of judgemental is. You get a pretty good idea talking to people in trouble how they view the world and how they have lived their lives. Most folks are just trying to be responsible and find the right person who will help them out. They impress me enormously. Because while they are facing horrible issues like losing their homes or losing their 3 year old disability checks, they are level headed. They are going to get through this.
But then there are the professional victims. These are the people who bring out my inner Republican. They whine, they blame,they work the system. They have no interest in being proactive. They get belligerent when I explain that while my group can't help them, and I'm not a lawyer, I would love to give them names of lawyers who might be able to assistant. They curse me out. I am the man, who once again is fucking them over.When I am done with these kinds of calls, I look for candy.

Was just reading the New Yorker piece of voting in Ohio. My callers are the exact same people,just with zip codes in the Bronx. Please rock tonight Obama!

No comments: