Monday, October 27, 2008

Return to Guyville

I got some good news this afternoon. A friend of a friend who I let house sit this summer will be staying here for a month, renting the extra bedroom. ( Can I say it's still a turn on to say I have an extra bedroom even after 2 years.) This will mean I can actually buy Christmas presents that cost a little bit more than tube socks. It also means I will have the experience of sharing my home with a nice man.

This is has historically been a very good thing for me to do. For while I like men enormously, when I am single ,I get out of practice of being with them. And then I get annoyed at them being, well,guys. That they don't do conversation the way most women do, that they monopolise, monologue, don't ask questions.And that they don't have that compulsive female emotional gage going.They aren't always thinking about how their actions will impact on others. Which can be a huge relief but also can in the wrong situations just piss me off.

But living with good guys, this kind of stuff can become normalised again. And to become reestablished with guy stuff with sound, smell, even taste. My last two dude borders had some weird ass dorm room stuff related to food.This I think is a very healthy thing for me be around.

Most importantly it is to be aware on a daily basis of male kindness. I have guy friends who are lovely and supportive to me. But like most of pals, even the ones who live on the same block as me, I almost never see them.Everyone is so friiggin busy. And if they have wives or girlfriends or boyfriends or dogs, you can't be expected to ask much of their time.But to have a consistent,hey what are you doing today- can I open that jar for you ? That I think will be good for my head. Even bad ones be helpful. Because there is the comparison.

When I met Schroder 2 years ago it was right when I had taken in the worst male roommate on record.This was largely had to do with an age difference and life experience outlook. I suspect I wouldn't have tolerated him any better when i was 24. At least I hope I had some sort of self perception then to spot losers. But I would then go out with his gifted self and I would be so happy and grateful to be with a man who did something with his day that was a little more productive than get high with hobos in the park. That punk kid made me a very nice girlfriend.Maybe this might have the potential of repeating the some of the same energy. Pro-boy.

No comments: