Saturday, October 18, 2008

Boring ways to be like your father

So we are day 3 of the head cold . I feel like Walter Cronkite during the Iran hostage crisis.When will the horror be over. I canceled 2 events I had planned for the day .One was going to Brooklyn to check out a co-housing group that is forming. The second was going to the memorial of a friends father. That one I am obviously more guilty about.

But it's being held in a retirement center with many many old people. I called my aunt who lives in such a place and asked if it was a reasonable thing to go. She asked me if I could make it through the event without sneezing, coughing or blowing my nose. I reply ed I could not get through a commercial break without doing one of those three actions. She said I would scare the old people.Send a nice note. Sensible advice. I still feel like a turkey.

I am making a list of things I am grateful today I am not, considering half of my head is not working. I am grateful that today I am not the single parent of a hyperactive 3 year old. I am grateful I own no cattle that need to be fed,cleaned after and milked.I am grateful I do not work in an industreral factory or as a perfume display girl in a shopping mall, or any profession where I would have to stand all day surrounded by smelly things.

Things I am grateful for.because gentrification has not hit my neighborhood yet,there is a small family supermarket across the street where I can get juice and Kleenex when the supplies run out. I would not even have to put on socks,just in and out. I am grateful that I have this weird thing that when it gets to be about 5 o'clock, I start to feel better and social again. So the whole day may not be a wash of misery . There may even be an outing to the movies with a friend. That my couch is about 6 inches deeper than the average one,so you can totally sack out in a excessive way. And I love the remote.

No comments: