Thursday, October 30, 2008

Prrof that I exist

Big event of the day, I went down to the DMV and got new non-driver state ID. Why is such a big deal ? Well my last one was 2 years out of date and to get on a plane this summer I had to be frisked to see if I might be worthy of getting on a commuter plane from Virginia to Newark. It was probably time to take care of this.

It is also a step in getting over how pathetic I am . At least about getting my picture taken. It goes way beyond the standard girl, that one makes my ass look big, thing. I think it comes from not coming from a family that took pictures. There are no images of me in middle school except for those oh so becoming class photos. Then when I was acting I had to regularly get head shots done and that was such a treat and a half. You always seemed to be sitting in a lobby for your turn when some cutie with a TV friendly nose was walking out. I was always labeled " character" in looks. Meaning, you will be making people laugh not lustful. The only complement I ever got from a professional photographer was that I would not have to fake my cleavage the way most other women did.

So now all I see are the faults. Polish nose that could be used on Sesame Street to demonstrate the shape of the letter T. Rectangle shaped head that always produces a double chin no matter how skinny I get. The weight just falls there. There is no medium in pictures of me . About once a decade I can get an image that is to die for. Otherwise I look like a rather unattractive Serbian butch robot. But all of this I put this all aside, showed all my 14 hundred forms of personal I.D. and had a pretty unappealing image made of myself. But at least I won't have to do that for another 8 years.

Got an invitation this afternoon for a day of the Dead party on Saturday. You are supposed to bring something to symbolise those who are no longer around to celebrate them .I am thinking of who and what I should bring. Not to be Gothic but there are allot of folks who have crossed over. And pictures would seem like the obvious thing to bring but 1. it is obvious and one can't do that. And 2. Many of the people in my life hated their images in photos as much as I do. Would my grandmother come back to haunt me if I brought the image of her as a flapper, that I love, but I know she couldn't stand? Would seem unfair.

No comments: