Saturday, October 11, 2008

Ghost town?

I was listening to Harry Shearer on Le Show this week talking about walking through London .He was wondering aloud how many of the shops he was window shopping from would still be open in a year. Walking through my neighborhood this morning I was thinking much of the same thing. In the last 2 weeks a new coffee place and a camera shop opening on Broadway. I was feeling very maternal towards them.


Then there are all the for rent signs. The bank that opened this summer now has pasted on signs that they are now owned by Chase.When I moved here it seemed so clever. Because it has to be the next boom area. Columbia is already buying property for its expansion. I saw visions restaurants that had portentous wine lists, cute shops that sold nothing that you needed but just liked a great deal. Now I don't know. I am nervous that the already desperate and bored will get more so. That a interesting new bakery, or dress boutique or pet shop, has as much chance getting support here as the no smoking in the elevator campaign in my building. Nice idea.

No comments: