Friday, October 10, 2008

Compulsive Happy Home Maker

I do a big grocery shopping about every 2 weeks . The way I do it is inspired from a piece I read in the Times years ago. It by a single dad with two teenage sons. He was finding his life was being spent in the local A& P. He would go shopping and in two days the kids would start bitching about the fact that all the good food was gone. The dad finally law down the law when he saw how much of his life was being lost to this situation. He would go once a week. That's it. The kids would have to monitor when things like brownies were going to be doled out. After that, they had to create from what was in the fridge and cupboards. The article contained some pretty tasty is wacky recipes that were forged out of this mandate.

I build shopping lists from recipes I have printed and clipped out .I have a list of set meals I will do. Then its one big adventure. The ex-actress in me likes the improv. But I also like guests to be safe with me. Years ago I roomed with an friend whose family was from Egypt. From her I got it wired into me that one should always have food and tea in your house in case 40 or so relatives show up unannounced. I pride my self on this compulsion. There is a strong possibility for me to whip something up and act causal about it. Oh this rack of lamb, just something I had lying around.

Which comes to my shopping list question of the day : do you buy something that you are indifferent to or even dislike because others in your life do ? For example, my Mom only shows up here a few times a year and vice versa but we mutually keep a stash of each others coffee around because that is a sign of functionality and love. I will not work without caffeine,her on Italian cappichiones is a frightening thing to see. It makes things much more pleasant if the other one isn't suffering over morning beverages.

As it starts to cool down I drink lots of tea , but it almost all herbal. When ever a certain dear Canadian friend comes to visit, she looks at me with almost concern.How can I have a home with out ink black tea. What the hell is wrong with me? Could this be a the core of while I am still single? Should I add some English Breakfast herbs to me list so that she is a little relieved of her worry for me?

No comments: