Saturday, November 1, 2008

Soap Box of the Day

There are times when I am concerned that I might be a tad O.C.D.. It doesn't show up in all areas of my life. My desk normally looks likes its having a bulimic situation with papers. But when I care about things I get a little compulsive. I need to have the books, Cd's,DVDs, just so. I also have this list making thing. I have a 20 page wish list on Amazon. This is not for expectation that other people to thrust expensive gifts on me but to keep track of what toys I would give my self if the money elf moved into my guest room.

This also shows up on my favorites links. The Internet is a very dangerous place for someone like me. But when I find a trip I would like to take, a class, a new recipe, a cute independent dress designer, I save the site for the hope that one day I will have all the cash and time in the world to indulge in consumerism and interests. I have about 2,500 such links saved.

I don't have a problem. I can quit anytime I want.

This morning when I was having my regularly scheduled, avoid responsibility's for as long as possible time, I was visiting some of those sites. Randomly I discovered how many of these cool websites had gone the way of the dinosaur. One by one closing down.Sad,sad,sad.

So here is my self righteous thought for the upcoming holiday season. We all know that money and spending is going to suck in the coming months. Can we at least put our budgets into people who might really need us? Amazon and Saks will be here next year.Allot of smaller businesses won't. Can we make a real effort to buy local for our gifts? And if you live in a neighborhood like mine where that pretty much mean getting everyone day glow statutes of the Virgin Mary, focus on the smaller places on line.Visit Etsy,check out the back of Bust magazine for their oh so hip retailers. Give your cash to someone that 40 dollars for mom's spiffy woolen cap may make break them this season. I know only about dozen people read this thing so far but you are all clever and have social connections.Spread the word, buy cute stuff from the little guy. Besides, don't the mall give you hives like me?

No comments: