Wednesday, November 19, 2008

There goes the neighborhood

About a month ago I noticed that 2 stores on my corner, a crappy computer games/discount jewelry store and a 99 cent joint had both closed their doors. Then it became clear that the new owners were combining the two spaces. I have been musing for weeks what might be going in there. I assumed it was another bank. I only hoped it would be one of my branch, as the closest one is a 11 block hike.

Discovered yesterday it looks like a grocery store is going in. Happy bunny dance was my first thought. To maybe be able to by produce and meat that doesn't look like a questionable health risk within walking distance of my home! Who had thunk it! Delighted I was at what the potential of a shopping experience that could offer more than discount Dominican lemon soda.

But then liberal angel on my left shoulder smacked me in the head. There is a family grocery literally right across the street from me. They are kind, they are patient.They have just done work on their store,clearly invested money. They are doomed. In a million years they could not compete with a D'agistinos. They don't a great selection but they have one. Manys the night they have saved my ass with a can of cat food or carton of milk. What is going to happen to them?

Then I saw something I thought I would never see in the Heights or Inwood. The big inflatable Union rat. In front of the new stores construction. There were the strikers. I love these guys. I think Unions are the only thing that keeps this country soul working at times. I am reactionary. I assume they are right. I also assume that most of the work that is done in this neighborhood has some serious illegal workers running in. Having a green card or a Visa is sort of like having a cashmere sweater, nice but unlikely. And if you do have one, it was probably a gift from a relative. To be expecting a organised working force up here is to expect a completely different reality than we have come across. This is the neighborhood of immigrants from the very beginning. Where are they all going to go now?

No comments: