Sunday, November 2, 2008

Stupid food issues

Last night I went to friends Day of the Dead party which would have been fantastic if it werent for my discovery that I am allergic to avocado. The hostess made some of the most rocking guacamole that has ever been my pleasure to consume. As I had not had dinner, I scarfed down allot. About an hour later I was at one with her toilet.

I was trying figure out what was happening to cause this and then I had a flash back of a few years ago going to Mexican place for dinner with friends.They had entrees, I just got the guac' .We went back to their place, where I proceeded to be intimate with their toilet as well. This morning while I was moaning around feeling sorry for myself , I put the two event together and came with GOD DAMN IT!!!!

My childhood had two completely different diets. There was the NYC version that involved parents friends introducing me to the concept that if doesn't smell like home, the eats will be good. There was my rural NJ childhood where all my neighbors looked like Brady's or the Sopranos. The most exotic thing going around there was rice crispie treats. I think these two shaping realities have left me schizo about food. On one hand my favorite going out to dine food of all time is Ethiopian. However about once a year I get a strong Jones for Bologna , American Cheese, coated with Miracle Whip on gooshie white bread.

I am delighted that there are still foods sources I don't know about and have yet to discover. It's like knowing there are great authors I haven't read , great bands to hear play, something to look forward to. But as an adult I have found out that some of these things are not my friends. There were never around growing up so I had to wait til now to have them nail me.

Kiwi makes my face blow up, fresh ripe pineapple gives me the ichies. Add the fact I can not tan, can't deal with any thing in the hot red pepper family, I am the WASPest being on the planet. I will never be able to live on a tropical island. I would be whining all the time about how breadfruit gives me the hives. I am doomed to stay in bogs , hoping that lords of the house will gift us with coal this Christmas.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I'll make you some porridge. You'll feel better.