Monday, November 24, 2008

Name dropping for a purpose

I would like to preface this post by saying I am having a super duper allergy day. I get these sometimes when the weather goes back and forth rapidly. My right eye is making suggestions about leaving my face.There were little pointy things biting into my far head this morning.You could not see them but I swear they were there. The tum-tum is pissed off too.This is to give you a little warning about what kind of content of self pity we may be heading into this afternoon.

Last night I was fighting with staying in or out. Pro-out, a bar I sometimes visit was doing gender bender kariochi night. My border and his 20 year old girlfriend were being over the top with their cuteness. Pro-staying in, it was 28 degrees out side in the middle of November, I had just made a lemon pie, and there was going to be a special on Astaire Cooke on PBS. Pastry and English men won.

Mister Cooke was my dad's friend while I was growing up. They worked together on some projects and deiced they sort of adored each other. They were working class boys who got ahead in the very elitist of worlds by being the cleverest of gents you could meet. If I picked up the phone and heard that voice I would be so grateful because I knew my dad would be laughing and energetic for at least a solid half hour. What did they talk about? Jazz, golf, Lauren Bacall? A little of all of that probally. I think mostly they just had fun picking each others brains.

Which brings us to dating and expectations and feeling a little sad. The last bunch of times I have been out and about being social in groups of men I have come away with a very clear idea of why I am single. Dreariness. Let's put aside those who are mentally ill, socially nonfunctional, the addicts, the non-bath takers. Frankly, that all ready takes up a large portion of wading pool. I look to men with an unreasonable desire to be intellectually dazzled. its not just can you make me laugh, but can you make me think ? can you hold my attention with how you express yourself? Can you help open me up to some way of looking at the world that I have never seen before? What nice average computer tech can live up to that ?

I blame this on the fact that I used to fetch Cokes for a man who was played by Cookie Monster on Monsterpiece Theater. That I heard him talk about how the expectations of being an good American could not only be seen as an a responsibly but an art form, a craft. That I heard the same man tell story's about how Charlie Chaplin was going to be the best man at his wedding, but stood him up for a hot weekend in bed with Paulette Goddard. Could one blame Chaplin? Can i blame me for still hoping?

No comments: