Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cue the Busby Berkley Tribute

So I am on the treadmill this morning doing my best to maintain my post-girlish figure. I play a game with myself. There is a TV in the room and every time I change the channel or every five minute I raise the speed a notch. It keeps me motivated and kills the boredom. It also keeps me in touch with American culture. As an public radio snob I don't do the morning talk show thing unless the flu is involved. This way I feel like I find out what we are told we are supposed to care about. So I hear about best sellers, diets, mall fashion styles as I sweat and grunt. Works for me.

So this morning I did a triple wammie. First I saw McCain doing his talking head work on some MSNBC thing. That is much how I see him now, a big white head. Why do people have faith in this man? OK , that is simplistic. I get his political track record. I get the bad prisoner,locked up in a box thing. No one should be locked in a box. I even get the likability factor. He has bantered well on the Daily show and such over the years. Obama is making the repeated comments about McCain being a good man. Because he is not vacant lot of Bush brain, no the soulless Halloween creature of Cheney.

But McCain is so you best friends dad. The one that you are polite to,chat with at holiday party's and weddings, the one that asks why you are still single. But you do not bring up politics, birth control, gay marriage, the war, immigration,teen drug experience,most HBO programing, or vegetarian cooking. Because the room will get either too quiet or disturbingly loud. His mouth will form a straight line as he says things like ,"Young lady...", "Life experience", " If you read the Wall Street Journal from time to time and not just your lefty Times, you would understand that...." . I don't want this man to be president. I want him to drive me to the train station and wish me a Happy Holiday.

I watched 4 minutes of the Presidents money pitch. I have spent the last 8 years developing a trigger switch on my remote. When he comes on I can't bear it. At least on NPR I don't have to see the mans face. After all of this , why do we have to listen to Herbert Hoover Jr any more?

I ended it with a sample of a Fox morning show. Its not news, its not Good Morning America. Its not aggressively Fox .But its sort of there. When I was in middle school there were these Christian comics books donated to the reading nook. Some were sort of true life story's things. The life of Johny Cash sort of thing. The hero's would reach heights, have great falls, then find Jesus. All would be groovy. The best were the Archie series. The gang would be going to Africa to help out and teach the natives ,"Turn, Turn,Turn". What was so evil about this was as a kid who has a series Veronica/Betty obsession going on, I grabbed these. Then I would start to feel sort of icky and unclean after reading and them and not know why.This is what Fox programming does for me.

I think I deserve a present after putting myself through this.

No comments: