Friday, September 26, 2008

I will not let Republicans ruin my weekend

Am strongly considering when things get a bit more calm, having a New Depression potluck dinner party. I have my grandmothers 1932 Joy of Cooking book. Its this amazing compact volume of cultural relationship to food. About a third of all the recipes involve big chunks of lard . In the vegetable section they try to explain why some one might consider being a vegetarian, or at least once eat a meatless meal. The best they can come up is it's cheap.

So the party would involve people either bringing cheap to prepare dishes or ,to earn extra points, research cooking in the 30s and 40s and bring a item that would have been eaten then. I suspect there will very little that involves cumin, sun dried tomatoes or goat cheese.

No comments: